Chicken with possible Gapeworm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by -Alt, Dec 23, 2013.

1. -Alt

-Alt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    The North
    I posted a few weeks ago about a chicken who is lethargic, has trouble breathing and by some cruel twist of fate was born without a tongue. It was suggested that she had Gapeworms so we bought Piperazine 52 to give to her but I can't seem to find any information about it. It sounds like I am supposed to give it to her in water or food for one day, then again in thirty days if id does not seem to be effective.
    I gave it to her a few days ago and she hasn't gotten better yet. She was have more trouble breathing this morning then usual, and I want to give her another dose, but I can't find out if I should or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Alt

2. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    She sounds sick to me. If it was me I would take Tylan 50 and Penicillin to give her a shot if it isn't too late. I usually draw up Depending on size of chicken. I give a big hen 1 cc under skin on breast. I take 1/3cc of tylan 50 in syringe then draw up penicillin to mix with it and give it to them in shot. It never hurts to worm a chicken You will just have to read your instructions on bottle. I prefer to use liquid goat wormer Safeqaurd because I can worm one chicken at a time if I want to and it isn't absorbed just goes through their gut. I give 1/2 cc for bantam and 1 cc for standard chicken orally. If you have any left over amoxicillin in your med cabinet you can give the chicken a capsule of it and it does help them alot too. Hope I help you.

3. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    you can also take a syringe and give her some nutrition slowly as to not choke it too. I prefer to give a sick bird liquid vanilla ensure. It perks them up quickly. If they are too sick I get a tube and push the tube down into their crop gently and fill up their crop with it by tube feeding. I have some comments on here and some other people do too about tube feeding a sick bird.

4. Wayne&Kim1963

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by