Chicken with raspy breathing!?

Chickencrazy22

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2016
So a day or so ago I noticed that my roosters breathing was a little raspy. And today I am noticing he is kind of halfway closing his eyes and the shakes it off and repoens them, before closing them again. I think he might have gapeworm. He opens his mouth to breath sometimes but not often. He is still crowing,eating,drinking, perching, and being active. But the eye closing and gaping has me concerned. There is no runny nose, coughing, his face is still bright and red, his eyes aren’t dull: He has been in the garage for about a week as he had frostbite on the comb and was healing from that. Please help! And any ideas or treatsments would help!

Last edited:
Are you running heat over him? Possibly he is too warm?
No he is in the garage but no heat lamp or anything. He has some hay as bedding but it’s not dusty or anything. I have been giving him electrolyte water off and on with regular water. Should I keep doing that or stop? Also he isn’t always in the cage. Whenever I am home I let him run around the garage so he can get exercise

How is the air circulation in the garage? Is there any mold? It is more likely a respiratory issue, than gapeworm. But if you want to worm him with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for 5 days in a row, that will treat it. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4th ml) per pound. A 7 pound rooster would get 1.75 ml.

Watch for any watery eyes, nasal drainage, or rattly breathing. If there is poor air circulation, mold, or too much heat, dealing with those may help. Cold weather can be a stressor.

No he is in the garage but no heat lamp or anything. He has some hay as bedding but it’s not dusty or anything. I have been giving him electrolyte water off and on with regular water. Should I keep doing that or stop? Also he isn’t always in the cage. Whenever I am home I let him run around the garage so he can get exercise
Only fresh water is needed. Electrolytes are hard on the heart.

How is the air circulation in the garage? Is there any mold? It is more likely a respiratory issue, than gapeworm. But if you want to worm him with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for 5 days in a row, that will treat it. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4th ml) per pound. A 7 pound rooster would get 1.75 ml.

Watch for any watery eyes, nasal drainage, or rattly breathing. If there is poor air circulation, mold, or too much heat, dealing with those may help. Cold weather can be a stressor.

There is no mold or anything in the garage, and I live in Indiana so the weather here in unpredictable. It’s 27F today but was 60F yesterday. I’m worried about him closing his eyes like he is. It’s ljke the kinda roll back and his eye closes halfway and then he opens them and stares around. Is there anyway to treat a respiratory infection without a vet? We don’t have any vets around here that will take chickens. We have called them all

Electrolytes are good to use if they are not eating and drinking, but can give them diarrhea if used more than a couple of days. You can give antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable from a feed store (I would give it orally.) But I would not give antibiotics without other symptoms. A virus will not respond to antibiotics. Here is a list of some common diseases, and I would read about infectious bronchitis, MG or mycoplasma gallisepticum, ILT, aspergillosis, and coryza symptoms:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

So a day or so ago I noticed that my roosters breathing was a little raspy. And today I am noticing he is kind of halfway closing his eyes and the shakes it off and repoens them, before closing them again. I think he might have gapeworm. He opens his mouth to breath sometimes but not often. He is still crowing,eating,drinking, perching, and being active. But the eye closing and gaping has me concerned. There is no runny nose, coughing, his face is still bright and red, his eyes aren’t dull: He has been in the garage for about a week as he had frostbite on the comb and was healing from that. Please help! And any ideas or treatsments would help!
Can you post some photos of him - whole body, frostbite and poop?
A video of him may also be helpful - upload to youtube, vimeo or similar platform, then provide us a link.

I'm sorry he is not feeling well.
I agree it sounds like a respiratory issue instead of Gapeworm.
Have you checked to make sure his crop is empty in the mornings?

Back
Top Bottom