1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with red chapped skin on bald crop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kirsty79, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Kirsty79

Kirsty79 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the Backyard Chickens community and I'm after some advice...I've had three chickens for nearly a year now. I live in the UK and I've recently noticed how all three are seeming to lose feathers on their crop. It's quite specific to just that area at the moment. The crops feel perfectly normal, but one hen's crop looks a bit red and like it's chapped. Is this normal? The other two don't seem to be affected. Is this just a winter moult do you think?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Hello and welcome Kirsty79. [​IMG] I am a newbie to and joined about 6 - 8 weeks ago. I also live in the UK (SE Kent). I am not very experienced with keeping chickens have only had mine for 7 months. Lots of members here will come along to offer you advice shortly no doubt. Do you let your chooks free-range? Is there something they are doing or leaning over to rub these feathers away? If it is sore looking I can recommend Sudafed cream, it is totally safe for chickens, I have used it on mine to relieve soreness. Hope somebody can advise you soon. [​IMG]

3. Kirsty79

Kirsty79 New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Thanks Birdgirl408, I'll try the Sudacream and see how she is after that :)

4. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    How are you doing Kirsty, or should I say, how are your chickens doing? Did you try the Sudocrem? Have you found out what was causing the feather loss?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by