Chicken with red/orange irritated eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 123chickens123, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 123chickens123

123chickens123 New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    Hi everyone! So the past couple days I noticed that my 3 year old golden buff orpington seems to have something wrong with her eyes. Her eyes are very red/ orange color and I don't know why! We recently started using hay in our coop instead of straw so I wondered if maybe it was an allergy to the hay? She also just finished molting so maybe that has something to do with it? Also when I was researching online a bunch of people said that the chicken could have gotten pecked in the eye. And I do have an aggressive partridge Plymouth rock who I have seen peck my other girls. I am just wondering what is wrong with her eyes and how to solve the problem! Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. 123chickens123

123chickens123 New Egg

Jan 10, 2015
    before her eyes were a yellowish orange and now they are darker and redder. Here is a picture of what they look like now, also thanks for the link and for response!

[​IMG]
    the one with the irritated eyes is the yellow one, her eyes used to be about the same color as the other chicken (the brown one)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by