Chicken with respiratory infection

dskerns

Chirping
Jun 16, 2021
Hello I have a hen that’s been acting weird.I got home for school yesterday and she was panting and breathing really hard and has one of her eyes shut and won’t open it,when she does it is really watery.She won’t eat anything but will drink.All my research shows that it’s a respiratory infection?If so is it treatable?What can I give to treat her?Iv already spread vetrx under her wings and on her head.I also gave her 3 drops into the mouth.

If you are believe it to be a respiratory issue, broad spectrum antibiotics will help. You might find raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar beneficial; 2 drops of ACV to a gallon of water to be used as her drinking water. I would use the antibiotics if you have it.

If you are believe it to be a respiratory issue, broad spectrum antibiotics will help. You might find raw and unfiltered apple cider vinegar beneficial; 2 drops of ACV to a gallon of water to be used as her drinking water. I would use the antibiotics if you have it.
Okay what kind of antibiotics and can you give me a ratio of how much to give her?Also is it treatable?

Okay what kind of antibiotics and can you give me a ratio of how much to give her?Also is it treatable?
Broad spectrum. It is treatable. Consider a veterinarian. Dosage would be on the package. I get Medion Therapy online.
Do you have antibiotics. You might find something at a Tractor Supply. Talk with an older clerk that is knowledgeable. At this point you don't have time to order from online.

Do separate the bird from the flock and keep her in a dry, warm place. This, alone will help and use the ACV if you can't get anything else.

Good luck!

Hello I have a hen that’s been acting weird.I got home for school yesterday and she was panting and breathing really hard and has one of her eyes shut and won’t open it,when she does it is really watery.She won’t eat anything but will drink.All my research shows that it’s a respiratory infection?If so is it treatable?What can I give to treat her?Iv already spread vetrx under her wings and on her head.I also gave her 3 drops into the mouth.
Can you get a video of your hen? Upload to youtube and provide a link.
Photos of her and her poop?

Any mucous, coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, injury to the face/eyes?
Any lice/mites?
Crop emptying?
How old?
Have you introduced any new birds lately?

Do you have a history of illness (Respiratory Illness, Marek's, etc.) in your flocks?

Broad spectrum. It is treatable. Consider a veterinarian. Dosage would be on the package. I get Medion Therapy online.
Do you have antibiotics. You might find something at a Tractor Supply. Talk with an older clerk that is knowledgeable. At this point you don't have time to order from online.

Do separate the bird from the flock and keep her in a dry, warm place. This, alone will help and use the ACV if you can't get anything else.

Good luck!
Okay I’m gonna try to get an appointment tomorrow with the veterinarian.Thank you so much for your help!!

Can you get a video of your hen? Upload to youtube and provide a link.
Photos of her and her poop?

Any mucous, coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, injury to the face/eyes?
Any lice/mites?
Crop emptying?
How old?
Have you introduced any new birds lately?

Do you have a history of illness (Respiratory Illness, Marek's, etc.) in your flocks?
Yes I can we I get home
Yes coughing,sneezing ,a little bit of facial swelling,one of her eyes stays closed she won’t open it and if she does it’s watery,no lice or mites,well I’ve been like force feeding her and she’s been drinking a lot of water so no her crops not empty,she is a year and 3 months ,no,no new birds.Yes I think we have had a history of mereks.

Is there any smell present? You can give meds to help but if it's truly a respiratory infection then your flock will be infected for life.
No she doesn’t smell of anything,she doesn’t actually live with the other chickens she went paralyze a while ago and leaves inside with us.

Yep. Also add some crushed garlic with the acv in water. 👍 I religiously put both in my girls water every day. You will need the antibiotics also but getting into the habit of adding the acv & garlic to their water is a natural remedy and preventative.
Also. Make sure you have isolated her from any others as a respiratory track infection is highly contagious & could potentially wipe out your whole flock. Good luck. 🤞🤞🤞

Back
Top Bottom