Chicken with respiratory infection

Booby

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Hi to all I have 5 chickens.

2 weeks ago one of my chickens was really ill with bubbly eyes and mucus coming out of her beak and eyes. So I took her to the vet, which turned out to be a very complicated set of options that the vet gave me (not being able to eat eggs, depends if viral infection or bacterial, blood tests etc etc) and at the end of it I decided not to take any action as the vet bill would have cost me a couple of hundred pounds (which I really could not afford). Sadly that chicken died.

To cut an all ready long story short my other chicken now has same symptoms. I think its the same lung nasal infection, so my question is this. From the humble knowledge of you wise people what treatment can I provide???? in terms of antibiotics etc. I did some research on this forum but could not find any treatments/products (i think Tylan) in the UK

Any advise would be appreciated

personally I would cull the lot

a respiratory infection is life long

even if they recover they will be carriers

and will pass to either other healthy chicken you introduce that are not immune to it

and most defo pass on to off spring

respiratory disease is one of those thing that is classed as no stock in and no stock out

and even then I would buy some Virkon S and give the coops and ground a good wash after they are all culled and wait 4 weeks atleast before getting more

sorry to have been harsh with my answer but I had to be realistic

Hi to all I have 5 chickens.

2 weeks ago one of my chickens was really ill with bubbly eyes and mucus coming out of her beak and eyes. So I took her to the vet, which turned out to be a very complicated set of options that the vet gave me (not being able to eat eggs, depends if viral infection or bacterial, blood tests etc etc) and at the end of it I decided not to take any action as the vet bill would have cost me a couple of hundred pounds (which I really could not afford). Sadly that chicken died.

To cut an all ready long story short my other chicken now has same symptoms. I think its the same lung nasal infection, so my question is this. From the humble knowledge of you wise people what treatment can I provide???? in terms of antibiotics etc. I did some research on this forum but could not find any treatments/products (i think Tylan) in the UK

Any advise would be appreciated
Can you purchase products on-line? Check forums for Duramycin 10 and Tylan 50. I don't cull my chickens,i treat them like my cats and dogs,they are pets. Everyone has their own personal opinion on this,this is just mine.

Last edited:
all animals are pets and much loved but then what would that mean when that pet can potentially infect others

and as the OP is in the UK

we need to look at UK rules

and DEFRA takes a very dim view of Respiratory disease and will prosecute if any wildlife is infected due to the infection being passed on by pets

Back
Top Bottom