Chicken with respiratory symptoms that won't go away?

MelissaBA

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I have a couple chickens that had been sneezing. I "assumed" it was something respiratory so I treated them with Tylan50. One of them has recovered but the other is still doing the whole sneezing thing. Do I need to treat her again?

If it is a virus like infectious bronchitis, it will take 4-5 weeks for symptoms to disappear. Antibiotic won't touch viruses, but they can help to prevent secondary bacterial infections that are common with respiratory diseases. Sneezing and runny nose are common with IB, but if there is swelling around the eyes or face, eye foam or drainage, or chest rattles, you may have MG or coryza. Coryza has a bad odor and more pronounced symptoms, and is best treated with sulfa drugs such as Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet, in combination with Tylan. Just sneezing can be due to environmental things such as ammonia odor or dust in the coop, or inhaling dusty feed.

If it is a virus like infectious bronchitis, it will take 4-5 weeks for symptoms to disappear. Antibiotic won't touch viruses, but they can help to prevent secondary bacterial infections that are common with respiratory diseases. Sneezing and runny nose are common with IB, but if there is swelling around the eyes or face, eye foam or drainage, or chest rattles, you may have MG or coryza. Coryza has a bad odor and more pronounced symptoms, and is best treated with sulfa drugs such as Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet, in combination with Tylan. Just sneezing can be due to environmental things such as ammonia odor or dust in the coop, or inhaling dusty feed.
So, where can I find Sulfadimethoxine?
And how much does each chicken receive?

So, where can I find Sulfadimethoxine?
And how much does each chicken receive?
Here is a link for Di-Methox powder and they also carry Sulfamed-G which are both brands of sulfadimethoxine: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/di-methox-soluble-powder-107gm

Note the brand below sold by Mcmurray Hatchery, which has the dosage on the label as 2 teaspoonsful of powder to 1 1/2 gallons of water (not this is 1 1/2 gallon, not 1 gallon.) Give for 6 days. The other brands will have the same dosage for a 107 gram package. It is also available in liquid form.

sulfadimethoxine_thumb_large_popup.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a link for Di-Methox powder and they also carry Sulfamed-G which are both brands of sulfadimethoxine: http://www.jefferspet.com/products/di-methox-soluble-powder-107gm

Note the brand below sold by Mcmurray Hatchery, which has the dosage on the label as 2 teaspoonsful of powder to 1 1/2 gallons of water (not this is 1 1/2 gallon, not 1 gallon.) Give for 6 days. The other brands will have the same dosage for a 107 gram package. It is also available in liquid form.

sulfadimethoxine_thumb_large_popup.jpg
Thanks so much! Ordering some now!

Back
Top Bottom