Chicken with runny nostrils & eye that's getting crusty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sanna, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    So I have a 5 month old Silkie pullet. She's been sneezing, it started probably 5 days ago. Then the runny 'nose' started and for the last 3 days, every morning, I find her with her right eye crusted shut.

I separated her from the rest of the flock. She is in a warm, dry room by herself. I have been giving her VetRX since I heard the sneezes. I also add Aureomycin to her feed. So far, everytime I have had a sneezing chicken, Aureomycin has done the trick but I haven't seen much of a difference in this hen yet.. [​IMG]

The eye that is crusted shut in the morning; I clean it up gently with warm water to soften the crust so she can open her eye. She seems to do well during the day but towards the evening, I see little bubbles come out of her eye and that's when it starts getting crusty again.

Other than that, she looks alert and happy. She's eating good and puts up a big fuss when I clean her eye and give her the VetRX.
    Today, I bought a vitamin & electrolyte powder to add to her water. I don't know if that will help but it can't hurt, right?

Any idea on what might be going on with this pullet and what else can I do to help her?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would do either Tylan or penicillin. I'm not sure auromycin is the right antibiotic for respiratory stuff.
    Is she new? Do you have any other new chickens?

3. Sanna

Sanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've had her since she hatched so she's been around...as well as the rest of the flock. No changes have been made.
    A respiratory problem would explain the eyes also?

I'll have to see if we have penicillin or Tylan.

Doxycycline wouldn't be of help for something like this, would it? I know for a fact we have some in the barn.
    I'm not so good on all these medications and what they do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by