Chicken with sore eyes? Pinkeye?

Lnzsmith

Songster
5 Years
Nov 14, 2017
Central Missouri
Our Lav Orp pullet has had a rough month. When we got her she developed severe coccidiosis. We have treated and that seems to have resolved. At the same time she had an eye that was very red, mostly closed, and weeping. That eye is now open but both eyes are red and seem to be irritated. She often scratches at them. We treated with Tylan 50 for possible respiratory, but that doesn't seem to have developed and the eyes now remain the only symptom. Red and itchy or painful. She eats and drinks well and is so sweet and friendly, although lonely I think. She is living in a dog crate with pine shavings in our laundry room. We don't use any scented laundry detergent or anything that could be irritating.

Should I get some Terramycin? Do chickens get pink eye, like kids? I will try to post a picture but we don't have a smartphone so I have to wait until my husband gets home with his ipad.

Put some clean cool water in a small bowl. Start twirling the water with a clean finger while adding plain salt. A little at a time. When no more salt will dissolve, get a cotton ball, and dip it into the salt water, then swab it over one, then the other of the chicken's eyes. Do this about 3 times a day. IF it's an eye infection, or "pink eye" that will clear it up in a few days.

Yes, do post pics when you're able.

Pink eye is a bacterial infection and chickens get it, too. Get the Terramycin and begin treating ASAP or use Neosporin. In addition, flush the eyes with saline twice a day. You can make your own saline solution by boiling one cup of water and half teaspoon of non-iodized salt for fifteen minutes to create a sterile saline solution. Cool and keep in a sterilized jar with a lid.

Watch the eyes for changes. Eye infections can progress very quickly and get very ugly. If the eye becomes obscured by a film, it's a sign that blindness is an imminent danger. Watch also for puffiness around the eye, which could indicate bacterial growth with the chicken's immune system attempting to drive out the infection by forming pus. It may become necessary at some point to clean this pus out from around the eye.

The eye was already swollen and the swelling definitely diminished with the Tylan treatment. Still irritated though. I think we have Neosporin, should I order Terramycin or just use Neosporin?

Pink eye is conjunctivitis, and can be a sign of respiratory disease such as MG, ammonia fumes, or environmental irritation. Do you see any bubbles or foam in the eyes? Pictures can be helpful. Terramycin Eye ointment from a feed store is good to use, and there also is Vetricyn Eye Gel or eye wash. Some use plain neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment as well. Here is an article to read about mycoplasma or MG:
http://extension.umd.edu/sites/exte... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Back
Top Bottom