Chicken with Strange Prolapse, Please Help! (Photo)

AriadneCastro

Songster
5 Years
Jun 23, 2016
Sintra, Portugal
Hello Everyone,
One of my chickens appeared like this today. I have cleaned her, put her in warm water to relax, and tried to put the guts back inside, but it's not working :( The strange brown mass attached to the prolapse looks like poo but it's not coming off. Could it be something else? What can I do to keep her bits inside? Please help, any advice will be appreciated!!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hello Everyone,
One of my chickens appeared like this today. I have cleaned her, put her in warm water to relax, and tried to put the guts back inside, but it's not working :( The strange brown mass attached to the prolapse looks like poo but it's not coming off. Could it be something else? What can I do to keep her bits inside? Please help, any advice will be appreciated!!
Poor girl! IMO, that does look like poop, but I'm not sure. Do you have a lubricant of some sort, like Vaseline or KY Jelly? If you do, use that to gently push the prolapse back in and hold it for a little bit. Honey will also work. Preparation H is great for helping the swelling, but I'm not sure if you have it.

Poor girl! IMO, that does look like poop, but I'm not sure. Do you have a lubricant of some sort, like Vaseline or KY Jelly? If you do, use that to gently push the prolapse back in and hold it for a little bit. Honey will also work. Preparation H is great for helping the swelling, but I'm not sure if you have it.
I did gently push the prolapse in, but it pops back out. My partner says that the brown bit is some sort of dead flesh (??) and we have to pull it off, but that doesn't sound like a good idea!!! I really need some experienced eyes on this.... :(
About the remedies, unfortunately I have nothing except the home stuff, herbs and such.

I did gently push the prolapse in, but it pops back out. My partner says that the brown bit is some sort of dead flesh (??) and we have to pull it off, but that doesn't sound like a good idea!!! I really need some experienced eyes on this.... :(
About the remedies, unfortunately I have nothing except the home stuff, herbs and such.
I'd leave it on, but I am not an expert. Try putting honey on the prolapse and holding it in for 5 minutes minimum, maybe more.

I'd leave it on, but I am not an expert. Try putting honey on the prolapse and holding it in for 5 minutes minimum, maybe more.
I've read that calcium + vitamin D3 is good for these situations. I have 500mg/400UI pills, but I need to know the right dose for her. She is a small frizzle, maybe two pounds...

Hello Everyone,

I've read that calcium + vitamin D3 is good for these situations. I have 500mg/400UI pills, but I need to know the right dose for her. She is a small frizzle, maybe two pounds...
Looks like a strangled part of intestines. Is any poop at all coming out? Is she able to poop?

Sounds like you have human Calcium like Caltrate or similar. If she's small, then you can give her 1/2 tablet.

Is she alert?
Work on hydrating her. Keep the exposed tissue moist with an anti-inflammatory cream if you have it.
Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath is fine IF she's not lethargic.

A prolapse may take days to resolve, the swelling has to go down for it to be retained. So if it's not staying in, then you may have to wait.

Looks like a strangled part of intestines. Is any poop at all coming out? Is she able to poop?

Sounds like you have human Calcium like Caltrate or similar. If she's small, then you can give her 1/2 tablet.

Is she alert?
Work on hydrating her. Keep the exposed tissue moist with an anti-inflammatory cream if you have it.
Soaking in a warm epsom salts bath is fine IF she's not lethargic.

A prolapse may take days to resolve, the swelling has to go down for it to be retained. So if it's not staying in, then you may have to wait.
Hello,
Yes, she is pooping - she made a little in the water. This brown bit is covered in skin, so it looks like what you said. She is alert, so far. Apparently, whatever happened, happened this morning, right after she had a big meal. Her crop is full and I already gave her the half pill of calcium.
My biggest worry is about this apparent piece of intestine. I'm afraid to get it into the wrong place. I have done this only once before.
About Epsom salts, they are impossible to find where I'm at. Instead, I put sugar into the water, because I read somewhere it has a similar effect.
My poor little chicken seems to be pushing the prolapse out. I can see her backside pumping in and out :( I just hope she's not in a struggle to lay an egg!
One more question: how far into the vent shall I push? I went in about 2 cm... Is that enough, or maybe too much??

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello,
Yes, she is pooping - she made a little in the water. This brown bit is covered in skin, so it looks like what you said. She is alert, so far. Apparently, whatever happened, happened this morning, right after she had a big meal. Her crop is full and I already gave her the half pill of calcium.
My biggest worry is about this apparent piece of intestine. I'm afraid to get it into the wrong place. I have done this only once before.
About Epsom salts, they are impossible to find where I'm at. Instead, I put sugar into the water, because I read somewhere it has a similar effect.
My poor little chicken seems to be pushing the prolapse out. I can see her backside pumping in and out :( I just hope she's not in a struggle to lay an egg!
One more question: how far into the vent shall I push? I went in about 2 cm... Is that enough, or maybe too much??

Thank you
She may have the urge to push and feels pressure. When you tried to put the prolapse back in, did you happen to feel an egg?

2cm is about 3/4 of an inch. You can push around 1-2" if need be (2.5-5cm)

Sugar is fine. If you don't have a lot of supplies/ointments on hand, you can also coat the exposed tissue in a sugar pack (sugar and water paste), honey, coconut oil...etc., use what you can to keep it from drying out.

She may have the urge to push and feels pressure. When you tried to put the prolapse back in, did you happen to feel an egg?

2cm is about 3/4 of an inch. You can push around 1-2" if need be (2.5-5cm)

Sugar is fine. If you don't have a lot of supplies/ointments on hand, you can also coat the exposed tissue in a sugar pack (sugar and water paste), honey, coconut oil...etc., use what you can to keep it from drying out.
I didn't feel any egg, so, I suppose it's safe for today.
I have tried again to put her bits back inside but they just pop back out again. And it's late (21:00h here) she is tired. What happens when she has to lay another egg tomorrow? I guess I can try to do this operation again in the morning, but isn't it dangerous for her to lay eggs in this condition? I just hope I manage to save her :(

Back
Top Bottom