Chicken with suspected arthritis/bursitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmilyFol, Jan 6, 2015.

1. EmilyFol

EmilyFol New Egg

Jan 6, 2015
    I have four lovely ex bat hens one of whom has recently developed a quite severe limp. On closer inspection she has lots of pea sized mobile lumps in her leg joint where the scales meet the feathers (I think the knee?). She still has her appetite and is happy hopping around the garden for a short while before settling down to rest and doesn't seem to be being bullied by the others.

I was wondering what would be good ways to see if she is in pain and if something needs to be done?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Could you post a picture of the bumps? Is the hock or foot swollen? Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) and bacterial or viral arthritis could be a problem. Mareks disease could be another possibility, but an injury may also be possible.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  3. EmilyFol

EmilyFol New Egg

Jan 6, 2015
    thanks for the welcome and the reply :)

I will try to get a picture this afternoon when I get home, her right foot (injured leg is right leg) is fine but the other foot is starting to swell/grow as it's now the only foot she uses for walking. Not sure about the hock off the top of my head so I'll have to double check that too.

I was previously given the advice that as long as she has her appetite she'd be fine but I wouldn't want to let her carry on in serious pain without helping her

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds a little more like mycoplasma synoviae, if the other foot is now swelling. MS is a respiratory disease similar to MG, but it may or may not cause respiratory symptoms. It effects the joints, and make cause lameness, swelling of joints, and sometimes will cause a breast blister due to the chicken lying down a great deal on the breastbone. Tylan 50 injectable is used to treat MS in chickens. You can give it as a shot in the breast or give it orally. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound daily for 3-5 days, but I would give it for 5 days if given orally.

5. EmilyFol

EmilyFol New Egg

Jan 6, 2015
    Thanks so much for your advice, after doing a quick google image search, her foot does look similar to some shown in google images with mycoplasma synoviae. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that will sell Tylan 50 without a visit to the vet so looks like I'll have to take her in.

Do you think it is possible that the other girls have caught this from her and are showing no symptoms? If that is the case, would it be worth treating them too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by