chicken with swollen comb and wobbly on legs

chookin

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
Hey all, i havent been on here for almost a year now. I havent needed any help, until now.
about a month ago, we had a bad week. We lost four of our five chickens in one day. I found only one dead chook. But a couple of days later one of them showed up again with a sore on her comb. I figured she must have got it when the others were attacked, but clearly she was lucky and managed to escape. I found another about a week after that, she had gone broody and is still currently sitting on the nest.
however, the one that came back disappeared again last week and i thought, whatever killed the others came back and got her too. Until today, i found her sitting at the bottom of my stairs and she looks terrible.
Her comb is really swollen and covered in sores now. She keeps shaking her head and when i went down to see her, she stood up and was very wobbly. Her tail is droopy and the wattles are really pale, almost white at the bottom. She doesnt seem to have any discharge coming out of anywhere, but her face also looks pale and sickly.
i offered her food and water, she ate a little and drank a lot.
Does this sound like an infection from her original sore or something worse?
tia, chookin

Here is a couple of pictures of her comb, the first one is of the original sore which is almost 3x bigger than what it started as.

I've never seen an injury like that before, but it does look infected, and she looks very pale and possibly anemic. I would get some Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell, and give her 1-1.5ml orally every day. Also give her scrambled egg, chopped meat ot tuna, and add some warm water to her feed. An antibiotic should be given to help with infection. Vets have the best ones, but if that is not possible then you can get procaine penicillin G for injections or Gallimycin to put in her water. I hope you can nurse her back to nhealth, but she looks pretty weak.

Thanks. I cooked up some eggs for her, but when i went out to give them to her, she was gone again. Gargh! Im still looking for her.. she has a very good hiding spot wherever it is. I hope she pulls through, my other chicken is a bit lonely now

An update of my chickens.. i found my sick chook under the house, but i couldnt get to her. I tried calling her out but all id get was a look. I havnt seen her in about 2 days now. She is no longer under the house. Another chicken of mine is now on her death bed. She was running around as happy as can be yesterday, and then this morning, she was very lazy and didnt move from one spot in the corner of the chook yard. She had loose feathers all around her and i thought she may have been bitten or attacked, but her feathers were just falling out as i was patting her. She had no injuries that i could find, so i moved her into a shadier spot in the yard. I checked on her a couple of hours ago and she was covered in flies and ants. I thought she was dead. But she moved when i picked her up. So ive shooed the flies and ants off her and she is currently under a fly screen, on a pillow on my verandah.

Im not sure what else to do. I cant even work out what is killing them all.

My brooder finally came off the nest today. I went to clear it out, but all it was, was a golf ball.. shes my last chicken, so shes going to be spoilt for awhile

Back
Top Bottom