1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with Swollen eye - too many days - help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abank, Nov 21, 2013.

1. abank

abank New Egg

Jul 2, 2012
    My chicken has had a swollen eye and not eaten in 4 days. I have given her antibiotics via syringe and also B12. She won't eat or drink on her own. We checked for eye worm and did not see any. I feel she is suffering. I have read other posts about this. Can I get the injectable Tylan 50 (?) at a feed store or is it only from a vet? Any help would be very appreciated.

I hate when they get sick and I can't help them.

Thank you everyone.

Abank
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The swelling in that eye looks to be either coryza or a bad strain of mycoplasma G. Is there a bad smell about the face? If so, I would lean more toward coryza which is more difficult to treat. Both will respond to the Tylan50 injections which most farm stores have on shelves at about $14. If I was pretty certain it was coryza, I would treat with sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) or sulfamethazine Sulmet. Here is a link for diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by