Chicken with "swollen" eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MochaDuck, May 26, 2019.

1. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    So I noticed today that my 3yo buff Orpington's eyes looked swollen or something. She's the only one I've noticed with her eyes looking weird. She acts fine. She eats, drinks, and laid an egg today (and took a sun/dust bath). The only major difference in her behavior is that she kinda acted scared of me (which she sometimes walks away when you walk towards her, or crouchs when you pet her, but she isn't scared of people). But she may have just been scared of my phone and camera. What is wrong with her?
    @casportpony @Wyorp Rock
    (Btw, she wouldn't hold still for me to get a picture of her right eye)

Edit: Should I quarantine her?

TiA

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Grits&Eggs

Grits&Eggs Songster

Apr 16, 2018
    Florida
    My Coop
    when my marans eye swelled I tried everything, after two weeks I finally decided to bring her to the vet and got an antibiotic cream to put in the eye and boom, gone in a couple days.

3. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    Thanks. Do you remember what it was called or what the container looked like?

4. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    Anyone else? Btw, her comb and wattles may be less bright than normal.

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you get a better look at her eye? Was she pecked or does she have debris in the corner and underneath the eye?
    I would also look inside her ear to make sure there's no infection or debris - hard to tell if that's swollen or the angle of the camera.

General eye care would be to flush with saline and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. You can also use Vetericyn eye gel or plain neosporin.

upload_2019-5-26_20-24-51.png

casportpony and trumpeting_angel like this.
  6. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    Thanks. I'll try to get a better look in her eyes. My mom caught another hen pecking her head area earlier.
    This will sound stupid, but how do you look inside a chicken's ear?

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Looks like what mine had once, used eve cream, antibiotics, and ear medicine, wich seemed to help, because they all recovered.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If another hen is pecking at her some, I would definately give her a good looking over, see if the eye has a scab, if she's got any lice or fleas around the eyes, infection, etc.

I find inspecting a chicken is easier when I have them standing on a table. To look in the ear, gently pull that little tuft of feathers back and you will see the ear canal - it should be clean, smooth and the color of your hen's skin.
    upload_2019-5-26_22-12-46.png
    Ref

9. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    Ok. She's in bed now, so I'll look her over tomorrow.

Wyorp Rock and trumpeting_angel like this.
  10. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Crowing

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    Same thing happened to my Marans eye and I tried everything too! I also brought mine to the vet and got antibiotic drops and pills. She got better by the end of her treatments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: