1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with swollen "knee" - limping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Oahu Babies, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Oahu Babies

Oahu Babies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2015
    My chicken is about 3 months old and she has been limping for about 5 days now. Her knee (if that is the proper term) is swollen and she doesn't put much weight on that leg. She mostly lays down, but occasionally limps to move a foot or two then lays back down. I have pretty thoroughly looked her over and haven't found anything else wrong with her- no sores, no cuts etc. I think she might have landed wrong when flying off the perch in the coop but I don't know for sure. She isn't showing signs of improvement yet, but doesn't seem to be in too much pain- she doesn't cry when I touch her knee. Do I take her to the vet? Do I wait it out? Do I give her anything for the swelling? Help!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post photos of her leg?

3. Oahu Babies

Jun 9, 2015
    I will tomorrow :)

4. Oahu Babies

Jun 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

5. Oahu Babies

Jun 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. Oahu Babies

Jun 9, 2015
    This is her face. She obviously has some sort of a genetic problem... could that be what is wrong with her knee?

[​IMG]

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She has scissor beak or cross beak which is a genetic disorder.
    It's possible that her leg problems could stem from a genetic disorder that is becoming more pronounced as she gets older.
    Riboflavin (B2) can sometimes be helpful with leg problems, so it's worth giving her some B vitamins in her water. You can use human B-complex vitamin (no iron) if you can't find a poultry vitamin that has B2, just crush it up and mix it with her food.

I have provided you some information on Scissor Beak and some common leg problems to look at, hope that helps.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/03/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/leg-foot-and-toe-issues-in-poultry-of-all-ages
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

8. Oahu Babies

Jun 9, 2015
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by