Chicken with swollen toe & foot?!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahmaoo, Apr 8, 2017.

1. hannahmaoo

hannahmaoo New Egg

Jul 1, 2014
    Around 3 weeks ago, we found one of our girls limping across the run towards us.. her claw was black and hanging on by a thread! (We have 60 chickens so we possibly took a day or two to notice this unfortunately!)
    I researched into this and found the best advice being to cut the claw off and bandage up the toe to prevent infection. So we did just that, and kept her seperate from the rest of the flock on towels and newspaper instead of mud etc to keep her foot clean. This is the result after doing this. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Over the following weeks, the progress of her toe has fluctuated, it began to swell and then the swelling went down. Her scales started sticking out so we treated her for scaly leg (these are still an issue but are going down every day we treat these).
    As you will also notice, initially the end of her toe, where the claw had been was black. This has since fallen off to reveal new, pink skin underneath.

However, the swelling in her middle toe, her foot and her leg just seems to be increasing by the day! She is limping around but is in otherwise good health, she is eating and drinking plenty and seems happy enough, not being miserable like she is severely poorly etc.

This is what it looks like today;
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Does anybody know what could be the possible cause of this?! None of our other chickens have shown signs of problems with their claws, so it must not be contagious. Is it worth a trip to the vets (we try to avoid this as much as possible unless desperate as we have to go far out of our way to find one that deals with chickens!)

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I want to preface this with I AM NOT A VET. I have however been brought up on a farm so have seen a thing or two. From the looks in this picture she has an infection most likely a bad one and I'm hoping it hasn't reached the bone. The fact it's going up the leg tells me it's spreading. My suggestion, if it were me I would lance where it is most swollen on the foot, most likely a lot of nasty bloody white and yellow puss will come out you need to then wash it out thoroughly with peroxide, I mean get that stuff in there and flush it out. Once it is flushed wrap it and then give her a pill of baby asprin. AGAIN I AM NOT A VET but if you're like me and either don't have a vet that does chickens or don't see the point in spending money like that on a chicken then try this. Also after you lance it and flush it same day you could do a bath salt soak in warm water.

3. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    also, when you wrap it up don't cut off circulation. good luck let me know what you decide to do.

4. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    I agree. I don't see any spores to indicate bumblefoot, so lancing the two swollen spots coulddefinitely help. The easiest thing to do, it's heat up a push pun or seeing needle to make it clean and poking it into the spots
    I'm no vet either, but like hillaire said, if you don't want to spend money on a vet then you could wait around for a better answer or try this yourself

5. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I would not lance this, I would take it to the vet.

6. Hillaire

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    like I said I am not a vet just a suggestion but it looks infected and that needs to be lanced and cleaned out to stop it... obviously antibiotics would be a plus as well. Of course if you can and want to take her to a vet by all means do so but since I saw a post on here I pretty much jumped to the conclusion that maybe that wasn't an option.

7. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    It doesn't look like something that will drain or can be cleaned out, if there were a scab like there is with bumblefoot, I would say differently. This looks to me like a deep infection, if it is infection, that would need antibiotics. Pus in chickens is more like a cottage cheese chunky type stuff, so lancing probably wouldn't bring it out. Since you can't just go pick up antibiotics anymore, better just go see the vet and let them see what's going on.

8. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    She needs so antibiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by