Chicken with toe injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louiseschwieker, Nov 5, 2016.

1. louiseschwieker

louiseschwieker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2016
    I just recently bought 2 orpington pullets and one of them has swollen back toes with hard brown scab-like things on the end of her toes. Shes walking fine and i applied bluekote to her toes. Does anyone have any idea of what couldve happened to her? Im willing to do what i can to treat her. Thank you for any advice. I can post pictures in the morning.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    Is it possible to get bumblefoot in their toes?

4. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yes, they can.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It looks infected, but I can't think what the cause would be. It's sort of unusual. Soak the feet in Betadine solution until the scabs loosen up-BluKote won't get deep into the tissue, it's more of a surface antiseptic. I still am not sure what next to do, never really had this happen exactly the way it has on your hen. I once had a hen who had what you'd call normal bumblefoot, a spot on the pad, we did the minor surgery, had her bandaged and the entire foot went necrotic. We could not figure out why since the bumblefoot was not even bad, but then found out she was fighting an internal infection as well, egg yolk peritonitis, so her body was unable to fight the infection in her foot.

Make sure your bedding is very dry, not full of ammonia. Where she came from may have not been so clean. Sometimes, they can get "poop rocks" on their toes if the pen is encrusted with it or there is a very wet period, which could lead to infection if it is not cleaned off, but other than that, I'm at a loss.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    Thank u very much. I'll try soaking her feet

8. speckledhen

If you do and you remove scabs and uncover sensitive skin, slather plain old antibiotic ointment on her toes and put her separately with a soft towel so stuff doesn't stick to the ointment on her feet. I hope she gets better.

1 person likes this.
  9. louiseschwieker

Jul 6, 2016
    If I soak them for long enough will the scab just fall off or will I have to pull/ pick them off?

10. speckledhen

I don't know because I can't get my hands on her to really assess what you're dealing with. But assuming it's scabbed over infected toes, the Betadine will help and you'll have to play it by ear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by