1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken with tourettes sydrome?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamberlin, Jun 19, 2011.

1. tamberlin

tamberlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    Hi!
    I have an approx. 16 week old Sebright pullet who just randomly squacks off and on all day and all night. Just one loud squack - so loud they surprise her - looks completely involuntary. Could she have chicken tourettes? or mild Marek's disease? She was vaccinated, but we had another chick die of Mareks after struggling for a week, so we know we've got it around. The Squacker has been squacking for seriously a month and is otherwise healthy as far as I can tell.
    Has anyone else heard or experienced anything like this?
    Thank you!
    Deb

2. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Could it be a cough or very big sneeze? When my girls RTI got really bad her sneezes started to sound like a single surprise sqawk.

3. tamberlin

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    All the time? Seriously, she does it in her sleep. I've woken up at 3AM and she's still at it.

4. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    Poor thing! I never heard my girl do it in her sleep, no. I bet she's exhausted!

5. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have hens that do that sometimes. When I posted asking about it someone had suggested that they're calling for a rooster. That made sense to me since the hens I have used to live with a rooster and don't anymore. They just sometimes do a random spontaneous loud quick squack and the other chickens don't seem to even take notice of it. Sounds to me like some sort of alarm but since the others don't even look up, that can't be what it is.

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

when did this start? If shes the only one making any wierd noises, I would say it might be allergies. Take a close look at her, see if the nose is draining or clogged...listen to her breathing, and smell her breath (nasty I know - lol ) but a foul smelling breath along with any discharge suggests a sinus or respitory infection.

just discharge and sneezing/squawking may be simple alleriges. I have a d'uccle pullet that has bad allergies and will do this when her allergies are set off.

If its more than one chicken and this one is just the most noticable, or even if just this chicken and there is discharge, swelling, crust, foul smell, etc add an antibiotic to their water for a week and do not consume eggs for 2 weeks. - this should clear up the symptoms.

7. tamberlin

Nov 18, 2010
    Framingham MA
    She is on antibiotics right now. I'm watching to see if there is any change. No discharge or anything else unusual....
    Maybe she's just wierd?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by