Chicken with twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1234, Aug 23, 2013.

1. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    I have a chicken that always has its neck twisted and I don't know what is going on can someone help me to cure this problem???

2. Chickensaurous

Chickensaurous Chirping

Aug 23, 2013
    Australia,Victoria
    Give her some vitamin B

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] How old is she and what breed? Does she have any symptoms apart from the twisted neck? Wry neck is common in silkies and may result from head injuries and/or vitamin deficiencies.

Usually they are dosed with Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) available at Walmart and other pharmacies. 2 drops 3 x per day - on a bit of food, if they will eat it, or the drops put just inside their beak

Also drops squeezed from a vitamin E capsule (can't recall dosage). In some cases they respond to prednisone .prescribed from a vet.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickengirl1234, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! I agree with drumstick. You can also do a search for wry neck in the BYC search bar to see if it sounds like your bird. Good luck to you!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging 7 Years

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You may want to post your problems on the Emergencies section of the Forum as well

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use polyvisol vitamins without iron. I put a couple drops in the palm of my hand then guide their beak to drink it.

I've had 3 hens now that had wry neck. Usually it only takes a few days of vitamins, but my last chick took 3-4 weeks of vitamins. The last chick was hatched with wry neck too. The vitamins are in any general store and infant vitamins. I always keep them on hand even for the adults for emergencies.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Welcome to the site! Best of luck with your chick, I hope the vitamins help sort everything out

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

10. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 Hatching

Aug 23, 2013
    She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: