Chicken with twisted neck

chickengirl1234

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 23, 2013
I have a chicken that always has its neck twisted and I don't know what is going on can someone help me to cure this problem???

welcome-byc.gif
How old is she and what breed? Does she have any symptoms apart from the twisted neck? Wry neck is common in silkies and may result from head injuries and/or vitamin deficiencies.

Usually they are dosed with Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) available at Walmart and other pharmacies. 2 drops 3 x per day - on a bit of food, if they will eat it, or the drops put just inside their beak

Also drops squeezed from a vitamin E capsule (can't recall dosage). In some cases they respond to prednisone .prescribed from a vet.

Greetings from Kansas, chickengirl1234, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you aboard! I agree with drumstick. You can also do a search for wry neck in the BYC search bar to see if it sounds like your bird. Good luck to you!

I use polyvisol vitamins without iron. I put a couple drops in the palm of my hand then guide their beak to drink it.

I've had 3 hens now that had wry neck. Usually it only takes a few days of vitamins, but my last chick took 3-4 weeks of vitamins. The last chick was hatched with wry neck too. The vitamins are in any general store and infant vitamins. I always keep them on hand even for the adults for emergencies.

She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

welcome-byc.gif
How old is she and what breed? Does she have any symptoms apart from the twisted neck? Wry neck is common in silkies and may result from head injuries and/or vitamin deficiencies. Usually they are dosed with Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) available at Walmart and other pharmacies. 2 drops 3 x per day - on a bit of food, if they will eat it, or the drops put just inside their beak Also drops squeezed from a vitamin E capsule (can't recall dosage). In some cases they respond to prednisone .prescribed from a vet.
She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

Back
Top Bottom