Chicken with twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengirl1234, Aug 23, 2013.

1. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    I have a chicken that always has its neck twisted and I don't know what is going on can someone help me to cure this problem???

2. Chickensaurous

Chickensaurous Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2013
    Australia,Victoria
    Give her some vitamin B

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] How old is she and what breed? Does she have any symptoms apart from the twisted neck? Wry neck is common in silkies and may result from head injuries and/or vitamin deficiencies.

Usually they are dosed with Polyvisol infant drops(NO IRON) available at Walmart and other pharmacies. 2 drops 3 x per day - on a bit of food, if they will eat it, or the drops put just inside their beak

Also drops squeezed from a vitamin E capsule (can't recall dosage). In some cases they respond to prednisone .prescribed from a vet.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickengirl1234, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard! I agree with drumstick. You can also do a search for wry neck in the BYC search bar to see if it sounds like your bird. Good luck to you!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You may want to post your problems on the Emergencies section of the Forum as well

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use polyvisol vitamins without iron. I put a couple drops in the palm of my hand then guide their beak to drink it.

I've had 3 hens now that had wry neck. Usually it only takes a few days of vitamins, but my last chick took 3-4 weeks of vitamins. The last chick was hatched with wry neck too. The vitamins are in any general store and infant vitamins. I always keep them on hand even for the adults for emergencies.

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! Best of luck with your chick, I hope the vitamins help sort everything out

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

10. chickengirl1234

chickengirl1234 New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    She is about 4-5 months old and yesterday she was attacked by the other chickens so I removed her. I am not sure what breed she is but she is definitely not a silkie. I have taken her out to have some grass and she seemed fine but if I grab her or put her with other chickens she twists her neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by