Chicken with Undereye... missing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicklover56, Jul 9, 2016.

1. chicklover56

chicklover56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    I have an Easter Egger chicken, that I just looked at today and saw her under eye was missing (for the lack of a better word). I dont mean her under eye lid, I mean the part of skin that is under her eye. I noticed the other day that a hen was pecking her "cheeks," but I didn't think anything of it. Today at a closer examination, I saw the injury. Her eye does have some clear discharge in her lacrimal caruncle (corner the eye closest to the beak). I am not sure what to do as I have never seen this and would love some input.

This is her good eye.
    [​IMG]

This is her injured eye.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    Please... Any help. She is my favorite hen and it is really hard to see this and have no idea what to do. Anything. I have no idea what to do.

3. taunya1979

taunya1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2016
    Do you have a vet for her maybe some healing ointment while her skin grows back? Idk for sure what they would use on a chicken but my dogs eye gets a lubricating salv that heals as well. And definitely seperate her from that other hen

4. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas

I do have a vet but it's pretty expensive to take them there. I don't have any healing ointment... I there anything you would reccomebd? And should I put antibiotic ointment on it or not? I will seperate her from the others as soon as I get back home

5. BabyandCotton

BabyandCotton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2016
    Florida
    I don't think you would need to take her to a vet. Put a little antibiotic, NOT THE KIND WITH PAINKILLER, and don't let it get in her eyes! If you notice other chickens pecking at it, separate her.
    -Liv

6. chicken danz

chicken danz Overrun With Chickens

May 20, 2010
    Waverly
    Put some triple antibiotic ointment on the sore a couple times a day. more often if she scratches it off.She will be fine.

7. chicklover56

Jun 1, 2015
    Kansas
    Ok. She is doing fine and I have her separated and in shade. I put antibiotic ointment on it and will check on her often and reapply if needed.

Thank you all @BabyandCotton , @taunya1979 , and @chicken danz for your help!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by