Chicken with very watery poo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxyblue, Jul 8, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Hi,
    one of my one-and a-half year old hens has always had watery poo. she drinks more water than the others I've noticed. and the color of her droppings in normal brown with the white caps but is surrounded by water:/ i'm not sure what to do, (if i need to do anything at all) should i deworm the flock? I've never done that before and could use advise. should I be concerned

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It's not at all abnormal this time of year for chickens to drink bucketloads of water, which ends up with watery results. Chickens don't have a heck of a lot going for them when it comes to cooling off, so they use water to keep from overheating.

I'd say to hold off on the wormer until you see other signs of worms: lethargy, weight loss despite increased eating, pale combs/face, feather loss, and even worms in their poo.

Hope that helps!

3. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thank you so much for answering! yep I don't think she has worms if those are the other syptoms, she is one healthy hen exept for her poo!

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    It is very hot in AZ this time of year and as mentioned our birds are drinking much more water than in cooler temps and watery poo is quite common during the heat of the day.

5. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks (I'm frusturated because this sight will NOT let me make a new question)[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by