Chicken with wet eyes and saliva coming out of nostrils please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sorya C, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sorya C

Sorya C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Canada
    My Coop
    Hi

I have this one small chicken who has just started having wet eyes ( but not leaking) and she opens her mouth as if gasping for air and then she makes this little sound the sounds sound like her nose is blocked, after the sound a bubble of saliva comes out of her nose and when it pops she has saliva leaking out of her nose. Also every time she makes her usual sound (a peep sort of) the sound of a blocked nose comes after it... Is this normal?
    She is a light Sussex..... about 2 months and a half years old. also she lays down/sleeps on her side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    Hi,

It sounds like your pullet has a respiratory disease of some sort. Gasping is not a common symptom in the logaritmic phase (the beginning of a bacteria's introduction). Most respiratory diseases are caused by bacterias, other diseases such as avian influenza and Newcastles disease are caused by viruses. CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease) usually starts off with gargles and gasping. The birds affected can also get watery eyes and runny noses. CRD is often caused by the presence of Bronchitis or Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. It rarely results in death, unless left untreated. It is highly contagious and air borne so you should separate her immediately, she wil be a carrier after having a respiratory disease, and it is likely her flock mates are carriers too. When carriers are present, it is best not to introduce new birds as they will be affected by the disease. In some cases, carriers can be prevented if they are treated early (before the stationary stage at least).

I am no expert so I can't say it is CRD for sure. Fortunately respiratory diseases can be treated using similar antibiotics. You can buy Tylan (Tylosin, probably the most effective drug I could recomend), Baytril 25, Gullymycin is another erythromycin medication that works well. Otherwise you could use soluble tetracyclines such as Oxymav 100 or Oxymav B, Oxymav 100 is stronger. Doxytetracycline is used for horses but is very effective against CRD, some birds can recover within a day.

Separate the sick chook and put her in a warm protected place, until you get an antibiotic give her crushed garlic and chillis in her water. The chillis will not be too strong as chickens have a poor sense of taste. These spices will boost her immune system and help fight pathogens. A probiotic is also recomended when you get her medication as antibiotics can kill off natural gut flora, resulting in other fungal and bacterial infections.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sorya C

Sorya C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Canada
    My Coop

Thank you so much Cuckoorpingting for that is was very helpful!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Treat her with an antibiotic...I use Oxy Tetra-A...Treat all birds...It is one level TSP to 4 L. of water
    Sounds more like The LT1 virus....Respitory also.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by