Chicken with wound on right bottom side of the neck and every-time she drinks water a hood portion of the water goes through the wounds

Chuhman

Hatching
Jan 5, 2022
I found my chicken yesterday with a severe wound on her neck she seems to want to eat and drink and even laid an egg after cleaning her wound out but I notice everytime she drinks water it fall through her wound i don’t know what to do to help and there are not vets close to me that deal with chickens. I just really need some advice to help my chicken.

It sounds as though her crop was damaged by a predator, and it is leaking food and water. You may want to remove feather around the wound and disinfect the area. Take a picture and post it. If crop wounds are not too bad, they can sometimes be closed with sutures or super glue. There are 2 layers to close, the skin and the crop itself. If it is pretty bad, it may be better to put her down.

It sounds as though her crop was damaged by a predator, and it is leaking food and water. You may want to remove feather around the wound and disinfect the area. Take a picture and post it. If crop wounds are not too bad, they can sometimes be closed with sutures or super glue. There are 2 layers to close, the skin and the crop itself. If it is pretty bad, it may be better to put her do

Attachments

• F9F836EA-B699-44BD-87F4-0B877E697D68.jpeg
    F9F836EA-B699-44BD-87F4-0B877E697D68.jpeg
    565.1 KB · Views: 16
She keeps eating and drinking but water keeps falling out of her wound and she will only let be rinse her wound out and I cut some feather but this is the first time I have owned chickens

There is not, is there any supplies I would need and how would I keep her calm during the process

It takes 2 people to handle and chicken and to close the crop. Wrapping the chicken in a towel and shielding the face are good to do once you have supplies ready. Read as many threads and watch videos to learn what needs to be done. If you read the link the Ruth wrote, she gives details about supplies. Chlorhexidene or betadine to clean the skin and saline to irrigate the wound are helpful. Gauze pads, sutures or superglue are needed. Here is another good link with details:
https://www.greenwillowhomestead.com/blog/how-to-operate-on-your-chickens-impacted-crop

Here is a video of another crop surgery:

It takes 2 people to handle and chicken and to close the crop. Wrapping the chicken in a towel and shielding the face are good to do once you have supplies ready. Read as many threads and watch videos to learn what needs to be done. If you read the link the Ruth wrote, she gives details about supplies. Chlorhexidene or betadine to clean the skin and saline to irrigate the wound are helpful. Gauze pads, sutures or superglue are needed. Here is another good link with details:
https://www.greenwillowhomestead.com/blog/how-to-operate-on-your-chickens-impacted-crop

Here is a video of another crop surgery:

Attachments

• 8A91D418-5591-4F6E-97A4-1313BF0158FB.png
    8A91D418-5591-4F6E-97A4-1313BF0158FB.png
    7 MB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom