Chicken with Wry Neck

Ian151

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2020
Good Evening Everyone,

I have a hen with Wry Neck and I have been treating her with Selenium and Vitamin E twice a day for about a week. Is it possible to give too much Vitamin E or Selenium? I have been treating her with 400 IU a day with a dose of Selenium with each serving of Vitamin E ( I split up to 400 IU to 3 doses a day). Also, how long have you seen for Wry Neck to clear up? I am concerned that I might have a permanently disabled hen. She is able to feed and drink on her own which is great. Thanks for the input.

How old is your hen? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Could she have been injured? Wry neck can be a symptom of head or neck injury, vitamin E or B1 thiamine deficiency, and can be an early symptom of Mareks disease, Newcastles, and a few other diseases.

I would stick with 400 IU of vitamin E, since it is a fat soluble vitamin and can build up. Thiamine or B1 is another vitamin I would give, since thiamine deficiency is another possible cause. Selenium cannbe overdosed easily since such a small amount is needed, and giving a little scrambled egg, tuna, or sunflower seed will probide all that is needed.

It can take day or weeks to see improvement. Sometimes they do not get better, depending on the cause. Helping them to get enough to eat is key. Prevent them from being bullied or injured by the other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom