chicken wiyh a cut ( small flap of skin)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pet pal, Jul 2, 2011.

1. pet pal

pet pal Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    My 10 week old red pullet, Has a small injury to its skin. I did seperate her. (beacuse the others were picking at it, How long do you think it will take to heal .I cleaned it up with hydrogen peroxcide,and have been spaying it with bactine. It seems to be getting better but was wondering if there is anything else I could do? Thanks hope to hear from you all.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds like you have it covered. Keep her separate till no more scab. unless you want to invest in a bottle of blue-kote, you can put that on more wounds and it covers it in purple helps to heal and conceal. If you do get blue-kote wach the flock for a while to make sure no one has noticed her. Theres always a chance someone is colored blind [​IMG] no seriously she should heal fine and not have to be separated long. In case you don't know, don't use anything for pain relief in it that ends in caine.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    If it is close for you you can get the same thing as Blue Kote at a Walgreens. The main ingredient is Gentian Violet. You can get a bottle with a wand inside for $2.99, at least that is how much it was in Millsboro, DE at Walgreens.

Just don't get it anywhere around cats [​IMG]
    Best of luck and it sounds like you have it under control.
    CDA

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by