Chicken won’t open eyes

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
View attachment 1620050 I’ve got a hen who won’t open her eyes. She acts like she just falls asleep while doing anything. She eats and drinks fine, but has a bit of snot up. She isn’t bothered by someone picking her up, and takes quite a bit for her to open her eyes. Her balance is a little wonky too. Please help!!

View attachment 1620050 I’ve got a hen who won’t open her eyes. She acts like she just falls asleep while doing anything. She eats and drinks fine, but has a bit of snot up. She isn’t bothered by someone picking her up, and takes quite a bit for her to open her eyes. Her balance is a little wonky too. Please help!!
I'm sorry your hen is not well :hugs
Your photo is not showing up.

How old is she?
Have you added any new chickens within the last 30days?
What do you feed?

Any swelling of the face, eyes or discharge from the eyes to accompany the mucous? Have you noticed if she is coughing, sneezing or wheezing?

Keeping the eyes closed, mucous and lethargy - she may have a respiratory illness like Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, ILT or if she has a bad odor about her Infectious Coryza. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Environment can also cause some respiratory symptoms - poor ventilation/closed up coop, mold and mildew. Inspect your housing to make sure there is not a build up of ammonia and that food or bedding is not moldy.

Look inside her beak to see if there are any signs of canker, plaques or lesions.

If you have vet care, that is always best.

Antibiotics may help her if she has a respiratory illness, but this is not a cure. Even if recovered/symptom free, a bird and those that are exposed are considered carriers.
Your vet can assist you with the correct medication, if not you can try injectable Tylan50. Dosage is .25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

I would also offer her poultry vitamins for a few days as well.
Keep us posted, look forward to the photos.

Back
Top Bottom