Chicken won't come home to roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by poopachino, Sep 8, 2009.

1. poopachino

poopachino New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi - I am new to this forum and new to chickens. We got chicks in May and they are so wonderful. They are now getting close to egg laying age and all of a sudden one is not coming back to the coop at night. This has happened 2 nights in a row. She is "back" in the morning, but I have no idea where she is going at night. Is it possible she is going somewhere to lay eggs? Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC!
    I would suspect that your hen that is going AWOL has a hidden nest.

3. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens usually don't lay at night, but it's possible she already has a secret clutch of eggs somewhere that's she's going to sit on for the night. Or, maybe she's decided to sleep in a tree.

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of hens do you have?

5. poopachino

poopachino New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    I have 2 Black Sex Link and 2 Buff Orpington hens. It is one of the Sex Link hens that is staying out. Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'll send one of my boys out to follow her this evening.

6. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] yes its possible
    she has a home away from home .

7. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    Try feeding them a bit in the evening. ALL my chickens come running from whereever when they see us with a bucket headed for the coop.

8. poopachino

poopachino New Egg

Sep 8, 2009
    I found out where the pesky chicken is going at night. She has found a place high up in a tree that she seems happy with at night. I've been letting her stay up there.

Thank you again for all the help in figuring this out!!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Raccoons and possums also go in trees, especially at night.
    JMO, but if you value this hen I'd re-train her to sleeping in the coop at night.

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I feed all my girls in the evening before they are locked up for the night it a good plan for me, due to the fact I hate chasing chickens in(they always seem to go the wrong way) So I decided to feed them in the evening They all come running when they see me with the feed and they free range all day. Most of my orps dont finish up laying until up to 6pm, I actually had a Faverolle that just started laying and she was in the box at 7pm and yes I found and egg.
    I also read that you shouldn't let them free range until they know exactly where it is they sleep.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by