Chicken won't come in out of cold

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by southernsibe, Oct 30, 2007.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    I hope this is the right forum. Please forgive me if it isn't.

I put every one up yesterday and left the house at about five pm. When I got home, the temp had dropped about 15 degrees, and I thought, wow, I hope the chickens aren't cold. Well, I had no reason to worry apparently, they were all roosting outside! It was 36 degrees and dropped to 32 by the time I went to bed, and I checked, they were still there! Even the silkies weren't really huddled together.

Are they going to be ok? I figure, they will know what they can handle, and they have a place to go into if they don't like the temperature.

Rachel

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Rachel,

They'll be fine, REALLY! [​IMG]

We got down to 28 last night...when I checked on the gang before going to bed, half were inside and the other half were still roosting outdoors. They'll go in if they get too cold. I like to think that they are working on their cold-tolerance since this will be their first winter. We got them as day-olds back in May.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    they really do have common sense. they'll come in when they need. promise.

4. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    kensington, maryland
    Thanks, I needed to hear this! Again, they are out there in the cold. I'm a bit obsessive about their welfare, I'm up at a quarter to twelve to shine the flashlight to see if they are in or out! I guess I need to lighten up!
    Rachel

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    you are so cute. just like a new mom. you know, like waking up the baby to make sure it's still alive. [​IMG]

i know they feel like our babies, but they are grown. since they depend on us and are smaller, it is hard to remember that. but really, they do know generally know what to do.

in a few months, you'll rest easier. then you'll adopt a baby elephant and it'll start all over again. wait, maybe that's me. [​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:[​IMG] Welcome to the Madness! [​IMG]

I had a flock of mixed Standards about 18 years ago, I loved them dearly BUT there is just something about raising them from day-olds that has ruined me!

They turned 6 months old on Monday and I still go out and do late-night checks on them, just because...

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by