Chicken won't come off roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Derpygoat, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Derpygoat

Derpygoat Out Of The Brooder

My Australorp won't come off of the roost in the coop by herself.. What do you guys think is wrong..? She also doesn't seem to follow my other 10 chickens around the yard too much, she kinda lags behind.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Sounds like she's being picked on or isn't feeling well. Have you physically examined her for wounds, pests or anything else that could possibly be "off"?

3. Derpygoat

Derpygoat Out Of The Brooder

Well, nevermind. I found her in the coop laying on the ground, dead. I found nothing strange or off. Do you think the problem was internal?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There are hundreds of things a chicken can die from, but I knew instantly upon reading a description of your hen's behavior that your she was sick. They want to be alone when they don't feel well. They will go from being vocal to being completely mute when they are sick. They will want to sit on a nest or perch or face a wall, and their tail will droop.

I just lost a pullet this week, myself. I believe she had an internal egg laying problem. It's one of the most common ways a hen will die. There's no way to know for sure unless you send her to a lab and have a necropsy done. It's always a good idea in case she died from something contagious. That way you will know and might be able to prevent the rest of your chickens from getting sick and dying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by