Chicken won't eat after attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by addictedtochickens, Aug 30, 2010.

1. addictedtochickens

addictedtochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    My sixth month old black-sexlink pullet is the only one out of twenty chickens that survived a dog attack two nights ago. I was glad to see that it was still alive this morning, but when I picked it up its crop felt empty. I set the chicken by the water dish and it drank for around three minutes and then threw up a bunch of water. There was no food in the vomit. I made it a mix of oatmeal,yogurt, and feed and it ate around half a tablespoon. I let it out in the run today for about an hour (have to fix the broken gate) and it ate a little bit of grass and pooped. The poop was pale green and almost all liquid.

My questions are the following:

What can I do to get it to eat more?
    Is it sick, or just stressed out?
    Will my poor chicken live, and if so, when can I reintroduce new chickens?

Thanks for all of the advice in advance.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I just put my answers in bold in the original post

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  3. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    Thank you. If I get a couple started pullets to keep it company, do I need to quarantine them for a while? I only have this one chicken at the moment so it doesn't seem completely necessary to me. Just wondering.

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    always quarantine.. even if its one bird or 100 .. a few have made the mistake of not quarantining and have lost their whole flock....

I usually quarantine for 90 days (yes its excessive) this last spring I cut my quarantine camp down to 30 days cause that all everyone said I need I now have a chronic respiratory infection in my flock... I am now a closed flock no one in no one out they will live out their lives here or I will end their suffering if I feel they are suffering.. so far I have only hod to put down 2

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With only one bird, unless she as an individual is very special, quarantine does not really seem necessary; do make sure though that they seem very healthy. However, I would only add one bird, or if two, make sure they come from separate locations (no way do you want them to already feel like a flock and gang up on her as the outsider).

She may not be eating well due to internal injury, so do think of that possibility, although stress alone can cause her to not eat. Make sure food is readily available to her at all times. Handfeeding formula is nutrient dense, so you may want to add some to her feed.

6. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I had to "force feed" my poor chicken when it got attacked. I opened it's beak and dropped in egg & yogurt. The next morning it ate on it's own.

7. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    How would I tell if she had an internal injury? When I pick her up she seems fine, if that helps at all. Before the attack, she would flap and I couldn't pick her up. Now she is very calm but makes small peeps when I set her down. It is just really sad to see her like this.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I give my chickens bits of grapes when I want to get medicine down them or get them to perk up. They love them, they are rehydrating and sweet for the chicken. It give something to look forward to and nourishes them.

9. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    Sorry, I have another question. I have been feeding the chicken oatmeal bananas and yogurt mixed together. Then, I sprinkle a little of the layer feed it was eating over the top. Should the chickens crop be small and filled with a kinda mush? Is that normal? I let it out yesterday for an hour and will let it out a bit longer today. It has been eating the grass. Does it need grit, or is the mush okay?

-Thanks for all of the advice

10. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to this post. My chicken is doing much better and I know that it is eating very well because of the insane amounts of poop. It even layed an egg today. Yipee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by