Chicken won't eat but seems fine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DecaturDuo, Dec 9, 2013.

1. DecaturDuo

DecaturDuo New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    My six month old Buff Orpington seems fine but wont eat. Drinks a little. Have her separated in a warm environment from the others and have been giving her antibiotics for a couple of days. Placed her in a warm bath for 20 minutes yesterday. Conducted a rectal exam, but not sure if that was conclusive. It was my first attempt and not sure if I got in deep enough to see if there was an egg blockage, maybe up to my first knuckle on my index finger. Poo is runny, milky white with a tinge of green. She is docile now, lets me pick her up without a fuss, but normally she won't. Prior to bringing her in three days ago she would separate herself from the others and sit in the middle of the yard.

Any thoughts?

2. Mei&Popcorn

Mei&Popcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a hen like this - she looked fine but she was really skinny and wouldn't eat a lot. It turned out she had worms... have you wormed your hens recently? You could try feeding her some yogurt to get some nutrition down.

1 person likes this.
  3. DecaturDuo

DecaturDuo New Egg

Dec 9, 2013
    I will try the yogurt. Haven't had our flock of six wormed yet, but will now.

Thanks!

4. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    If one of mine stops eating I usually mix yogurt and chick starter together to make a paste. gives calcium and protein and a tasty treat lol. I really hope your chickie gets to feeling better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by