chicken won't get off roost in the mornings!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yesfantina, Jul 28, 2014.

1. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Hi

We have 12 chickens and a 6x8 foot coop that's about 7 feet tall. Roosts go the long way, and are at various heights. The top roost by the window is almost 6 foot off the ground, and that's where 5 of the chickens routinely choose to spend the night. This used to be no problem, but the last few months, one of our 1 yr old EEs has stopped getting off in the morning. We open the run door and let them out and everyone flies down and leaves and she sits up there and SQUAWKS and SQUAWKS. Finally we started going in when we open the run door and grabbing her off the roost to let her down (and then she's perfectly normal, going about her daily activities...)
    It's like she's afraid to jump down. There's other roosts lower she could go to, but she chooses the to one. This morning again, we left her alone to see what she'd do and she squawked for 1/2 hour. then she got quiet. We went to check but she was still up there pacing back and forth.
    Any ideas or are we going to be handling this spoiled little girl every morning for the rest of her life so she doesnt' have to fly down from her choosen roost....

thanks
    -t

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think it's too high. Chickens naturally want to go to the highest point available. They'll hop up using the other roosts, but don't use them on the way down. If they're jumping 6 feet then you run the risk of leg/feet injuries.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    x2 Same thing happened here. Everything was fine until they got big - they still wanted to roost on the highest roost, but jumping down was another story.

4. yesfantina

yesfantina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I just went and measured. It's actually closer to 5'4" from the ground. You still think it's too high? I guess it's 'too high' for HER, but for everyone? Should I just remove that highest roost?

5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    can you make it easier for her to come down one rung at a time. She is likely egg laden and/or has had a spill getting down and is now hesitant. If your roost were easier to dismount from, like an angled walk board like you see from many coops to the ground.

6. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    It's quite difficult and dangerous for them to jump from that height. The bigger the bird the harder they fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by