1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken won't go into coop.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by codeylpowell, Oct 12, 2015.

1. codeylpowell

codeylpowell Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2015
    I have 9 chickens and all but one is going inside of the coop at night. The one chicken that is not is a large koshin rooster. For as long as I have had him he has not went in there once --not counting me putting him in there--. Does anyone have any ideas to have him go in there by him self??? I am new to byc and have yet to upload my chicken pictures. [​IMG] Please Reply I need your guys help.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Welcome to BYC

How long have you had your birds? If not long, you might try keeping them all closed in the coop for a few days until he learns where he sleeps before letting them out again.

3. codeylpowell

Sep 8, 2015
    I have had the chickens for about 2 months

4. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA

This is a good idea. If it doesn't work, try again, but this time keep them locked up for a week or two.

5. codeylpowell

Sep 8, 2015
    Really that long? Is that going to stress them out or hurt them?

6. Billy Hill

Billy Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Rural San Diego
    They'll be fine. They'll prolly be better for it as a matter of fact. Like a good crate-trained dog, they see that as their home. Their safe-haven. I kept mine in the coop for the first 4 months of their lives, then started letting them out an hour before sunset once a week. When they're out now and something spooks them they all fly to the coop.

7. codeylpowell

Sep 8, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your guys input and now I have some work to do. I will also use this information in the future.

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Good luck

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It won't if there is plenty of room for them to spend the whole day/night in there.....
    ....and plenty of roost length for them all to get settled.

10. shell shocked

shell shocked Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    liverpool england
    hi yer
    built my hen house and got everything ready a ton of soil mixed with six bags of sharp sand under their house for the dust bath
    food and drink outside and inside got the girls home put them in the house me thinking well thats that see you in the morning
    left the door open sat on my bench chatting to the wife lovely august day two hours later the rhode island red poked her head out
    came down the ladder and the rest followed that night they all went in all but one jumped up on the perch i opened the doors behind
    them and lifted her on she was in the poo tray same again the next two nights after that all was fine my point being with a bit of help
    they will work it out
    good luck
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by