1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken won't leave nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pepperkorn, May 18, 2009.

1. pepperkorn

pepperkorn New Egg

Aug 15, 2008
    One of our year old chickens will not leave her nest. She even sleeps in there, which is odd. They are all free range and we have no roosters. She has not laid an egg in a week. I am very concerned about her. HELP! What could it be?

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Shes probably broody. Does she try to peck you when you reach for her?

3. pepperkorn

pepperkorn New Egg

Aug 15, 2008
    No she doesn't peck at me and we have no rooster so I thought brooding was not an issue.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    You've got a broody! They don't even care if there's no eggs under there. She'll sit on golf balls. if you want chicks, you need to get some fertile eggs under her. She could sit there forever if she doesn't have the satisfaction of hatching, unless you break her of broodiness. This often requires putting the hen in a wire bottom cage with no bedding, etc.

5. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Some broodies don't peck. I have a really calm hen that never pecks when she is broody, which has been many times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by