Chicken won't leave the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tsiecz, Sep 11, 2011.

1. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    Hello everyone!
    Im new to the forum and to raising chickens. Just got the coop finished. The problem I'm having is the chicken dont want to leave the coop.
    They are a new flock of six (20-24 weeks old,they were free range birds(2Barred Rock,2 amercuna and 2 rhode island reds)and have been together their whole life.
    I just got them 5 days ago. The coop (size is 8' x 4') and has a door on the floor. Is this the problem??? I did have them out yesterday but had to catch each one and push them out the door. They had no problem coming back to roost last night. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tom

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I would just keep pushing them in and out until they finally figure it out themselves. thats what I did and it worked after a couple of days.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    X2. They aren't used to the routine, it will be a short while to get used to the change.
    And welcome! You'll find a wealth of information here!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

She'll come out eventually. Change is hard for chickens. And the others will learn to go back inside on their own eventually too. A small light on just a bit before dark (even a flashlight inside there) may help lure them back inside on their own.

5. mamm7215

mamm7215 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2014
    Surrey, British Columbia
    Ok so I'm not the only one with this problem! I love this site! My girls are about 9 weeks with one 5 week old. Same deal, open the coop door to the run and they hide is the back of the coop. I gently herd them out the door and close it. Then I've been putting food, treats and water in the far end of the run. I leave them there for a couple hours and spend quite a bit of time just sitting by the food. Finally the biggest hen got brave enough today to come over and eat, the rest followed immediately but once they ate their fill they all ran back to the closed door! LOL. It is only day 2 of this.... I'll post in a week and hopefully I've made progress!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by