Chicken won't leave the nesting box

chickenscratch

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
One of my chickens won't leave the nesting box. She's laying eggs but staying in the nesting box all day and night. I took her out and put her out with the other chickens and she eats a little, walks around and goes back in.
Any ideas on what wrong with her or what to look for.
Thanks

Yep... she's broody. Do you have a rooster? Are the eggs fertile?

wink.png

got a rooster(s)? some fertile eggs
tongue.png
tongue.png
more chicks,your sooo lucky i have been waiting for YEARS for my d*** hen to go broody

Just about anyone here... check out the buy/sell/trade section. There's a "WANTED: positive feedback for BYC sellers" thread (thank you to whomever made it a sticky!!!) that lists over 88 people and what they have available.
smile.png

Last edited:
my cochin is about 6 months old. Been laying for about 2 months. she has been in the nesting box for 2 days, not laying. normally we get an egg a day. I have taken her out she seems fine. but goes back in. Is she brooding?

my cochin is about 6 months old. Been laying for about 2 months. she has been in the nesting box for 2 days, not laying. normally we get an egg a day. I have taken her out she seems fine. but goes back in. Is she brooding?
Sounds like she could be broody. Does she cluck at you when you try to take her out of the box and fluff up like a turkey?

Back
Top Bottom