Chicken won't let others OUT of the coop

cwschulze

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
Southern California
Hello everyone. This is my first post after recently joining and aquiring two SLW. I'm new to raising chickens and found this forum to be very helpful. I've read posts about other chickens not letting others into the coop but I'm having the opposite problem.

Both our SLW are too young to determine sex, but the more dominant of the two will not let the other roam in the run. Every time she(we think) try's to come out of the coop to roam the other (which we still believe is a girl) chases her right back inside or pecks her feathers and dominates the run.

Is this normal behavior? Part of establishing a pecking order? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have one SLW in my flock and though she is second hen in the hierarchy, she's by far the pushiest. Separating them when there's only two isn't a good for them. They need each other. If it's possible, add a second door in your coop. She can't keep post at both entrances if they're far enough apart. It also sounds like maybe the bossy one could use some distractions. Do you allow them time out of the run? There's a great thread on here about keeping chickens entertained in the run too. If she has something to do other than bossing the other around then the other will have more opportunities to get out and explore.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/904094/anybody-have-any-ideas-for-chicken-entertainment

Last edited:
I would separate the pushiest of the two for a week, out of sight and hearing of the flock, in the hope that when she is returned, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order. SLW's IME tend to be a pushy breed, anway.

Back
Top Bottom