chicken won't move

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickynparadise, Mar 31, 2015.

1. chickynparadise

chickynparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Sumter, SC
    I have a chicken apprx 1 yr old-she was in her nesting box yesterday for hours, tried to check for an egg before I went to bed and she tried to bite me. I moved her out and onto the coop floor so I could get the egg and she was still in the same spot this morning. Took her to the vet, he checked her poop and such. Told me he thought it was gout and gave her some medicine. He said she would be better this evening but she is not. I don't know what to do now.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Is this the same bird from your other thread you just posted?
    This is classic broody hen behavior - meaning your bird's hormones are telling her to sit on a nest and hatch eggs. It doesn't matter if you have a rooster or even if there are actually any eggs under her, she is driven to sit on that nest and hatch chicks. A broody hen becomes defensive of her nest - "growling" at those who come nearby and pecking at anyone who gets close enough to drive them away from her nest. If you do not have a rooster and/or do not want chicks, you can "break" the broodiness. If you do have a rooster or access to fertile eggs from someone who does - and you want chicks - you can slip some eggs under her and let her hatch them.

3. chickynparadise

chickynparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Sumter, SC
    Really? is that all it could be? I have been worried sick! I thought she was laying but after talking to my friend he thought maybe it was one of the other hens. Yes, it is the same chicken. You are describing her behavior! She was sitting on an egg yesterday but I do not believe it was hers, I removed it. I do not have a rooster, I am not looking for chicks, just eggs. Should I seek out a fertile egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by