chicken won't put weight on foot and has dark patches on legs feet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellys chicks, Sep 22, 2011.

1. kellys chicks

kellys chicks New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    3 days ago I noticed 8 month old Delaware limping on left foot. Area on top of foot looked swollen and like it was scuffed. Right leg looked like it had 2 small cuts. Thought maybe it had gotten caught in a closing door.? Now today it is limping right leg and there are multiple dark areas on the leg and foot. Almost like a scab but it does not wash off. Legs feel hot but so do the other chickens in the pen. New chicken owner not sure what to do.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    First of welcome to BYC!
    Second, if you can upload a photo of the injury to photobucket and then provide the link here for u to see, it will help us help you much better.
    If the scab and swelling was on the bottom or in between toe area I would say it was bumblefoot.
    To save typing, here is a link of photos on bumble foot and how to treat it at home if she does have it.
    Also more info like (how is her poop, eating, drinking, age of bird, treatment done thus far, ect.) will help also.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

Let us know,
    Laura

3. kellys chicks

kellys chicks New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    I viewed the pictures. No it is not on the bottom of the foot. 3 days ago applied Bacitracin oint. Yesterday soaked feet in epsom salt. Left foot looks a little better still swollen but no new areas and she will put weight on it now. But the right foot seems to be spreading its not just the 2 small areas noticed at first. Still eating and drinking. I have noticed some looser stools in the pen but not sure who it belongs to ( 3 chickens share the run)

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea what it is ...but I am very curious now... and want to know what it is...

5. kellys chicks

kellys chicks New Egg

Sep 22, 2011
    I can't send picture tech. support is unavailable(my teenage daughter is sleeping).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by