1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken won't share nest box....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madamedespoules, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Madamedespoules

Madamedespoules Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Wisconsin
    My Astralorp recently started laying and unlike the Black Star and the Ginger Spice, she will not lay in a box with an egg in it. She wiggles around until she is able to toss it out. This of course breaks the egg. We have tried golf balls which she tosses across the whole coop. Now we nailed a golf ball onto a board and put it under the bedding. She would not settle down to lay.....Any ideas?????? HELP! We want to go away for a weekend but don't want scrambled eggs and egg eating hens when we get back...

2. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    One of my girls will not lay in the other boxes either if there's an egg in it. She won't knock out the egg, but it's a preference for her for sure (found one one on the concrete since one box had an egg, and the other box had a fake egg).

If you're going away, maybe you can set up more boxes? like kitty litter buckets or something so she has more choices. I don't know how many chickens you have, but that might help. Or have more boxes and have someone check on them to take out the eggs.

Good luck.

3. Madamedespoules

Madamedespoules Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Wisconsin
    So far, our idea of the golf ball nailed to the bottom of the nesting box is working. She has adjusted to laying with the golfball. Our next step is putting a hardboiled egg in to see if that survives. Thanks for your idea though. We have a very small coop and there just isn't room for a private nest for Whoopie... We'll hope that this keeps working.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by