Chicken won't stay awake, and won't eat?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CartoonNinja, Feb 20, 2014.

1. CartoonNinja

CartoonNinja New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I bought a young gray silkie chick recently, and for a fe days it was just fine. It's about a week old now, and seems to be acting quite strange. It can't stay awake, and is always asleep with its head on the ground. It hasn't eaten very much, practically nothing, and is not drinking water either. The other chicks are starting to trample over it, so I speared it temporarily. Does any one know what might be causing it to act like this? I'm afraid it might die, so I just want to know what to do to help it. Thank you!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Does it fluff up like it is cold? It may be coccidiosis, especially if you see diarrhea or bloody diarrhea.

Sometimes when they are that age they can die for "no reason" too...I hope your little one pulls through. Dip his/her beak in the water and if you do treat for coccidiosis, you will have to drip via syringe the medicated water alongside the beak to give it a drink every hour or so until it perks up and can drink alone.

I am so sorry to say that if he/she doesn't drink and eat soon he/she won't make it. That is a very fragile age.

Let us know if you need help with coccidiosis medications.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would recommend purchasing Corid(amrolium) or might be called Amprol(amprolium)depending where you live. Corid/Amprol is used to treat Coccidiosis,cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract and is the leading cause of death among chicks. Some symptoms of cocci are:runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which strain it is)fluffed feather,lethargic,not eating/drinking,general look of unwell.

Dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 20% powder is 1-1.5 tsp per gallon of water,medicate ALL chicks for 5-7 days. Make sure medicated water is their only source of drinking water,do not give vitamins during treatment as they interfere with the ability of the coccidiostat to work,give vitamins after treatment is complete.

Research Coccidiosis so you know all there is.

Note: you can also add warm medicated water to feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this way you have the added benefit of knowing chicks are getting enough amprolium. Discontinue in feed once they start eating/drinking,but keep in water for the 5-7 days.

Adding warm water to chick feed encourages eating,as most chicks love this and it is easier for the frail ones to eat.

Corid can be found in the cattle section of most feed/livestock stores,it will say for cattle,but is perfectly safe for poultry and is what is recommended. If you live in Canada,it has to be purchased through a vet.

4. CartoonNinja

CartoonNinja New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    The chick doesn't seem to have any runny/watery/bloody poop, and doesn't have any fluffed feathers either. If it does have Coccidiosis, should I continue to keep it away from the other chicks and treat them too?

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    No need to separate b/c if it is coccidiosis,they all have been exposed and she probably has contracted it from your other chicks as birds are only immune to the strains they have had prior exposure to.

Coccidiosis is spread by droppings which get into feed water via droppings,but it is also spread by wild birds/bringing in new birds to your flock/your own hands/shoes/clothes/feed utensils,etc.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by