Chicken won't walk on one leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bfilloon, Jan 27, 2013.

1. bfilloon

bfilloon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    My daughters millie fluer was found on coop on one side not being able to stand on both legs. Left leg will not hold her up and after a quite night inside she is not using her left wing either.. Any thoughts on what might be going on and how to help?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be Merek's.

3. bfilloon

Apr 25, 2011
    Not seeing any symptoms of open sores as a web page indicates with Merks..

Any other thoughts

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. bfilloon

Apr 25, 2011
    Thank you so much..

7. bfilloon

Apr 25, 2011
    she is alert and the left side just doe not want to work, Eating well I am going to try some photos to submit..

8. helen1

helen1 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    I to have a bantam that is not well. Is there not something that will help her? I really don't want to loose her! She is so sweet!

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should start your own thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

and answer these questions from:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/3569/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

10. indyfarmgirl

indyfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2013
    I have a hen that is about 8 months old and about 3 months ago she started only using one leg. I have her and another hen together in a small heated coop. She doesn't seem to be getting any better but is getting good at getting along with one leg. For awhile she flew up and roasted with the other hen but now she sleeps on her one good leg. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by