Chicken worm in poo- HELP! need advice :)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Julie1977, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Julie1977

Julie1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi, I am new to chickens and I noticed some little white things moving in a pile of poo. Should I worm everyone or maybe just put vinegar in their water. And also are the eggs ok to eat regardless of worms? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would definitely get a real wormer and dose your chickens with it. Valbazen and Safeguard are good choices since they get rid of most/all worms. Wazine and Ivermectin are less preferable, since Wazine only kills roundworms and many worms have become resistant to Ivermectin. I'm not sure on the dosages for either Valbazen or Safeguard, but I'm sure another BYCer will come along and know.

Vinegar does not act as a wormer. I've heard of some people using it is a preventative, but it does not kill worms and is not very effective at preventing them, either.

1 person likes this.
  3. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi and thanks for responding so quickly :) I will be looking into some of our feed stores for what kinds of wormer medications they carry. Thank you so much! I have 19 chickens and don't know who's dropping this is.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If one chicky has worms, it's likely that others have 'em, too. I've heard that feeding them diatomaceous earth can help rid parasites from the GI tract, but nothing will beat legit anti-worm medication.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is ineffective against worms, it wont prevent nor treat them. You're correct; if one birds has worms, most likely the others have them as well and wormer meds will be needed to get rid of them.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    "Little white things moving in a pile of poo." You might be dealing with tapeworms and will require special treatment as they are tough to get rid of. I've dealt with them. Take a look at this pic. Is this what you're seeing?
    [​IMG]

7. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hello Dawg53, Will safeguard work? and will free ranging be ok as my dog does tend to eat their poo here and there. I just don't want to make him sick from their dewormer. Any advice would be welcomed :) Thank you, Julie

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Safeguard is ineffective against tapeworms. You'll need to purchase Zimectrin Gold equine paste at a feed store. It is a paste; give a "pea" size amount of the paste orally to each chicken, then repeat dosing again in 10 days. Make sure you withhold their feed 24 hours prior to giving your birds the z-gold.
    As far as your dog is concerned, taenia species of tapeworm can be zoonotic. I recommend you take a fecal sample from your dog to a vet and have it looked at under a microscope for worm oocycts. You can purchase droncit/drontal tablets at a feed store without a prescription to worm your dog for tapeworms if necessary. The wormer residue in the chicken feces wont affect your dog.

9. Julie1977

Jan 29, 2014
    Northern California
    Hi Dawg and thanks for all your advice! Just one more question, can the worms get into the eggs? should we not eat them until they have been dewormed? I thank you so very much, Julie :)

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Worms can get into eggs, but it's rare. It's best to toss eggs in the garbage for 24 days (start to finish.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by