1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken wormers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl4eva, Mar 29, 2015.

1. farmgirl4eva

farmgirl4eva Just Hatched

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    Hi am looking for a chicken wormer with no egg withdrawal period. Is there one? I get two or three dozen eggs a day and sell them to the public from my home. I have never wormed my chickens before (nor have i ever seen any worms in their poop) because I don't want to toss out 300 eggs!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, sorry, the chemical wormers all recommend withdrawal of some sort in the animals they are intended for. You may get some recommendations for "natural" wormers, things like garlic or pumpkin seeds, but I would be amazed if anyone produces scientific proof that they eradicate an infestation.

Where do you live? If you are not seeing any symptoms of worms, if they seem healthy and are of good weight, their population could be very low where you live -- they usually are in desert climates, for example. They are usually worst in warm moist climates like mine. Probably the worst worm is hookworm, and they leave visible sefments in the poop that look a bit like rice.
    And if you birds are really badly infested, you will probably find a roundworm in the poop sooner or later.

You could see if your vet will do a fecal float test for you, which should reveal the presence of worms if they are present in large numbers. The chances are that most chickens live with a tolerable number of them.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    1 person likes this.
  4. farmgirl4eva

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    thank you. i live in New Hampshire.. definitely not a warm climate.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It would be best to take some fresh fecal samples to a vet to be tested, use a ziplock bag.

6. farmgirl4eva

Oct 29, 2014
    New Hampshire
    good idea. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by