Chicken wtih poorly eye!

Bicknells

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2015

Hi there
I am new to this forum and would like to ask if anyone knows what might be wrong with our little Maran's eye. Her name is Mary, we took her to the vets a week ago and he said she had conjunctivitis, and gave us Fusidic Acid eye lotion which we have been applying twice a day. There is no improvement. She is happy in all other respects, eating, pooping and laying (although we are discarding her eggs). Her other eye is fine. She is a lovely chicken and I really want her to get better. Please can anyone suggest anything?? The gloopy white bit you can see is her inner eyelid which is also swollen. there is not really any gunk in her eye.
Thank you :)

It looks like MG or coryza, but you did not describe any respiratory symptoms such as noisy breathing, mucus from the beak or nostrils. That looks more like pus in her eye than the third eyelid. Pus tends to solidify in chickens, and can be hard to remove. I'm not a vet, but it looks like a respiratory disease, an injury that has swollen, or it could even be a tumor. I would think that she needed an antibiotic such as Baytril (if the vet will prescribe that for you,) or Tylan or Sulfadimethoxine. Your vet could do a culture for MG or coryza. One person last year on here had a similar eye that did turn out to be a tumor, and many of these are from injuries. The picture below shows a chicken with severe conjunctivitis secondary to coryza.

CORYZA-006A%20x420.jpg

Thank you. I dont think it is Coryza orMG as she is completely fine in every other respect. She does not present as 'sick' she definitely has no discharge or mucus or respiratory problem. Maybe it is a tumour though, it seems very localised to the eye. She has no pus in the eye. That white bit is definitely an inflamed inner eyelid. I guess its another trip to the vet!!

Back
Top Bottom