1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken yard done (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jengro65, Jul 16, 2011.

1. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    It took awhile but my 10 girls finally have a place to spread out:) Let me know if I forgot any major parts (This is my first experience with chickens). Its roughly 60X60 and the walls are a little over 6 ft. I also made sure that the fence aprons out about 2 feet. I'm keeping the covered kennel inside for a place to get out of the rain and hot sun. Next year when I get a bigger hen house I'll still leave the kennel attached to the current house and that is where I'll keep new additions to the flock. I have one gal so far that likes to jump on the hen house roof and hop over the fence to dig into my swiss chard but since I can't watch them 24/7, I'll maybe just make her a ladder of sorts so she can easily get back in if I'm not home...they also get sealed in tight in the hen house at night.
    [​IMG]
    By jengro65 at 2011-07-16
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks really spacious for the ten of them. I would consider a couple of "A" frames for shelter from heat, rain, hawks, etc because it is an open run. It just gives them a little security if something swoops in for a kill. They will not have to try to get back to the coop or hope for the best if they have cover close by and they will love you for it [​IMG]

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Awesome run, I'm sure they are really enjoying it. Really nice scenery as well.[​IMG]

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Wow..wish I could let mine have that much room. I have the land, but hawks, dogs, and well lots of others to enjoy chcikens prevents me from that.

Great job!!!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Nice, spacious run! Does your one bird always hop up onto the door to get onto the coop, or can she fly straight up there?? I'm asking, because if she needs the door to get up there, maybe you should put a pop door in and close the people door... [​IMG]

6. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Quote:I don't usually keep the "people" door open but it was really hot that day and I let it air out. They have their own little chicken door on the other side.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your hen is going to teach the others how to escape and get into your veggies., I wouldn't encourage her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by