Chicken yard suggestions please

kaloss

Hatching
Mar 12, 2020
South Eastern Virginia
I'm a new chicken mom, I have a mini flock of 7 weekers and am trying to get everything set for them to move outside in the next few weeks. I live in Southeastern VA. I have an idea, but I want to make sure I'm not missing a potential problem that some more experience chicken owners will see. I have an adorable, sturdy coop and want to keep it in my side/front yard. My plan is to trim the top few pickets off my fence, attach the coop and have the girls' "front porch" stick over the top of the fence, leading into the chicken yard. This would give us easy access to collect eggs without having to walk into the chicken yard. (the nesting boxes will be on the outside of the fence, close to my driveway). The girls would have my side yard, fenced in (also having invisible fence installed to ensure my Schnauzer and Mastiff don't get any crazy ideas (they are way too fixated on the chicks, my Danes could care less). My pics were taken at 8:30 this morning, by around 9:30-10 we have pretty good sun and by 4ish, the sun dips behind the neighbor's trees on the opposite side of me. I have looked into vegetation I could plant that the girls could use as daytime hiding if they need, we live in a coastal community with bald eages, osprey, and other birds of prey. I guess, I want everyone to be happy, healthy and safe. I will be fencing in the garden/coop side of the yard too, to keep predators away from the coop itself.
chicken yard.jpg

Attachments

• chicken yard 2.jpg
    chicken yard 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 15
  • chicken front yard.jpg
    chicken front yard.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 16
My plan is to trim the top few pickets off my fence, attach the coop and have the girls' "front porch" stick over the top of the fence, leading into the chicken yard.
Maybe, probabaly.
But.
They are going to need more than a few bushes to keep them safe from BOP's.
Invisible fencing might not stop and prey driven dog. BTDT.
Think about a secure run with mesh top.

Welcome to BYC! @kaloss
What coast do you live on?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586532742343.png

Back
Top Bottom