chicken yards

debbieandbrucebuck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 19, 2009
just built a new chicken yard in a wet area of my yard I built it up with crushed rock and covered it with about 4 inches of sand do you think this will be good for them or should I put something else down for them

I know some people use sand in the coop. But, I'm not sure about crushed rock and sand in the run. I know my girls go outside to scratch in the leaves and dirt in search of bugs and green sprouts. I don't know how much the rock and sand would encourage this kind of flora and fauna.

Also, they might need something more fine to take dirt baths. Some people add food grade DE.

I don't really have the answer to your question, but I am posting with the hope that someone more experienced with your setup will see the post.

Good luck!

The sand should be good for the run and for them. Sand drains real well so the run has a good chance of staying dry. This is the recommended way to dry out a wet run.

Crushed rock with sand is good. You can toss them (nontoxic) garden weedings and veg scraps and so forth to give them something to pick through, and your gravel/sand will keep things MUCH MUCH drier and less stinky/fly-ey than mud would be.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom