Chicken yellow face tired wont eat...not sure what is wrong

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeB, Feb 26, 2017.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    My 5 year old hen has a yellow face, lethargic and isn't eating much. She's losing feathers all over but doesn't seem like a true molt. Her poops are normal looking (but sometimes has a greenish color) and crop seems fine. She has lost some weight. I'm so worried I will lose her. Can't figure out what is wrong. Please help.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Can stress cause molting?

3. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Bump

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @DianeB I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Can you post some pics - one of her face where it's yellow and one of her feather loss?

If she is going through a difficult molt, her face/comb/wattles can turn a pale and the comb can shrivel or reduce in size. Some hens to reduce their feed consumption during molt as well. They can seem a bit off too.

Not to dismiss your worries at all - it's very possible she may be very ill from something else.

Encourage her to drink - add poultry vitamins to her water - get her hydrated. If she is molting she needs extra protein so give egg, tuna, mackerel or meat in addition to her normal feed.

Look her over for any signs of lice/mites.

Please let us know how she is doing.

5. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Thank you. I'll try to get a picture. Now her face is red again. Got her to eat some mash. This is an odd molt. She's losing feathers all over her body not in a set pattern. Whenever she gets upset a bunch will fall off. Never seen her molt like this.

She already had a molt in late summer/early fall. Then, she layer eggs for 2 months. And now this.

Her poops are perfect and crop is normal. But, her behavior and appetite is off.

Can't figure this out.

6. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    [​IMG]
    This is what she looks like right now.

7. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she still laying?
    May I ask the reason she gets upset - new chickens added to the flock, new housing, predators, etc.?

9. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    We have a very pesky cat that chases her and her flockmates. I've been keeping him separate from them. Lost a few and added a few (as chicks) over the last several months. During her last molt, she went through a period of stress with the cat and wouldn't eat and lethargic. I kept him away from her for a few weeks and she turned around.

I have some pics of her droppings if this is helpful.

10. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't see any signs of lice. I'm going to get her fecal tested when I get paid in a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by