Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
How old? And will they stop fighting or forever keep fighting?

There is no easy answer to this. Some will fight to the death in their first fight. Others....if there is enough room will fight and then avoid each other until they get to close then they fight again.

Roosters fighting is horrible. They rip each other up causing a lot of injury and blood.
Sometimes one will "win" and while the other still lives he is so injured it would be best to kill him rather than let him suffer then die.

Is that something you can do if it is needed?

Just so you know I speak from experience.....

Many years ago I bought 5 white silkies. They all turned out to be males.
Even though they were just 4 months old they were acting up. I did not separate them in time. They ganged up on my tiny Japanese black tail rooster. They tore his comb off, pecked his eye out, broke his toes, and stripped all the feathers off his tail. When I got home from work that day it was quite a horrible thing to see. Poor Bill was still alive. My Jersey Giant hen was standing guard. She was my top bird. Bill lived but it was a looooong road to recovery and I probably should have ended it.
The silkies.....they did not get to live with the flock. I had to cage them until I could get rid of them.

So do I have to add more?

oh no then what did you do?
We then our neighbors complained about them... A LOT. Wrote tp our HOA and stuff.
We ended up slaughtering them, as nobody wanted them. Our hen was solitary for over 2 months, but we now have 2 chicks for her, and she cares for them and keeps them warm at night. She's a silkie.

Rehome one rooster and get at least 2 more hens. Or buy around a dozen more hens to keep both roosters. Or build a second coop for the roosters to live in, and get more hens to keep your hen company.

There is no easy answer to this. Some will fight to the death in their first fight. Others....if there is enough room will fight and then avoid each other until they get to close then they fight again.

Roosters fighting is horrible. They rip each other up causing a lot of injury and blood.
Sometimes one will "win" and while the other still lives he is so injured it would be best to kill him rather than let him suffer then die.

Even though they were just 4 months old they were acting up. I did not separate them in time. They ganged up on my tiny Japanese black tail rooster. They tore his comb off, pecked his eye out, broke his toes, and stripped all the feathers off his tail. When I got home from work that day it was quite a horrible thing to see. Poor Bill was still alive. My Jersey Giant hen was standing guard. She was my top bird. Bill lived but it was a looooong road to recovery and I probably should have ended it.
The silkies.....they did not get to live with the flock. I had to cage them until I could get rid of them.
Then what should I do?

We then our neighbors complained about them... A LOT. Wrote tp our HOA and stuff.
We ended up slaughtering them, as nobody wanted them. Our hen was solitary for over 2 months, but we now have 2 chicks for her, and she cares for them and keeps them warm at night. She's a silkie.
Aww that’s 😢

I really can’t choose which rooster to rehome I love then both

I really can’t choose which rooster to rehome I love then both
Should I keep both roosters and find the hen another home and keep 2 roosters or take away the roosters ( but I really don’t want too) and add 2 more hens? Or I should just add another hen to the flock and maybe take away a rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom